This post by Jennifer Flaten
Our furnace died on Sunday, not with a whimper but a bang, a huge, terrifying bang that had an accompanying scent of natural gas. So, we evacuated our house on a cold, very cold, Sunday morning. Most of us in a state of dishabille, but the dog thrilled at the impromptu ride in the car.
We called the gas company from the driveway. Since we didn’t want to go back into the house and needed to stay warm while we waited for the gas company to come we drove around our neighborhood. Endless circles of the same 10 block area.
The kids kept commenting that the couldn’t believe our neighbors didn’t call the police as they saw the same little red car pass the house for the 100th time. I reminded them most everyone else was most likely sleeping!
The gas company inspection deemed the house safe to enter, but he turned off the gas and declared the furnace “unsafe”.
So began the calling around for an HVAC guy. We found a local guy who could come out immediately. When he arrived, he only confirmed what we already knew, the furnace needed to be replaced. In an interesting twist, the technician was the same technician who put the furnace in the house 24 years ago.
We have three cats and the dog, finding alternate housing would’ve been next to impossible, so we opted to stay in the house until the install on Tuesday.
It was fun, in a “we know this will end soon” kind of way. We huddle around the space heater, wore a huge amount of layers and slept in beds piled with covers (and chilly animals).
The only thing that froze was the jar of Nutella in the cabinet on the kitchen’s outside wall. It is seized up, you can scoop it out and eat it like a little truffle…not that I’ve done that.
On Tuesday, the install went smooth and surprisingly quick. When the new furnace whooshed on, I’ve never been happier. After school, the kids came home and immediately sprawled across the vents pumping out the sweet, hot air.
I am hoping for a less adventure-filled weekend this week.
Browse my jewelry on Etsy